Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Girls in white dresses with blue satin sashes

  I spend so much of my time, breath, and energy being negative. Especially this time of year. I strongly advise against spending your summer in Texas. The heat is oppressive, the days long, the sun blinding and the humidity suffocating. I don't do well inside. I love to hike and bike and rock climb spend my afternoons on the lawn with a book. 111 degrees is not exactly a conducive environment for strenuous outdoor activities,  particularly for those with a propensity for heat stroke. 
  Focusing on the negative is nearly as exhausting as the summer sun. It drains me and makes it so much harder to relax and have fun at anything. I have seen how my discontent spirit effects those around me. I've seen how it hurts my husband, how it strains my relationships, how much of a roadblock it is for my ministry. Part of me is tempted to just tell everyone to go away until the heat does. Sorry, guys. I'm just going to be crappy company for the next while. Come back around in October. 
  Or, maybe I just need to instill some positivity in my life. Seems a lot less lonely of an option. 
  I want to challenge myself to dwell on the beautiful. I have seen photo journals and hashtags of 1000 things going around. I've not read the book these are based off (although, it is on my list), but my understanding is that the point is to make a list of a thousand things for which you are thankful. I. Love. This. I don't want to reference a book I haven't read, so i won't refer to mine as '1000 things', but I am going to start a photo journal of 'a year of favourites'. Things I love, things I am grateful for, things that make me smile. At least one a day (although, I am hoping as I enter a spirit of joy and thankfulness, it will be many more than that. Join me, if you so desire. I'd love to see your list. 

No comments:

Post a Comment