Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Let's talk about Job...

I've always struggled with the story of Job. I find it hard to grasp the concept of a God who would tell Satan 'have at it, do what you want to him, try to break him, I dare you'. I don't like this image of my God. This is a God who abandons. This does not compute with my idea of a God of love, mercy, and justice. Where are promises like 'plans to prosper and not to 
harm'? 

In one fell swoop God throws all love and affection out the window. Gone is my assurance that God provides and cares for us. Decimated are the securities and trust I have built on His unending Grace and all powerful loving kindness. 

Job was not a bad man. This was a man' blameless and upright'. Of righteous men there was no better. So if even He is subject to the unchecked wrath of Satan; if God allows even this man, this great and holy man, to suffer such devastating heartbreak - what chance can I possibly have? 

Two things occurred to me as I was reading through Job this morning. Two simple concepts that I have never considered before. 

1). Satan only has as much authority and God gives him. His evil, his power to destroy is limited by the God of the universe. 
Satan says: 'I can break this servant of yours. Let me try'. 
God concedes: 'fine, take away his fancy stuff, his family even, but touch not him'. 

When that doesn't work Satan has to come back and ASK for more power. 

Even in this, His seeming abandonment, Job is sheltered, protected, spared. 

2). What incredible confidence God must have had in Job. To believe he would stand firm and righteous no matter what Satan threw at him. The confidence that Job's faith was greater than the blessing he'd been given. It was this confidence that made Satan target Job. This faith that seemed unshakable terrified the prince of darkness. 

If Satan came to God right now, would I even be worth attaking? Would he ask for access to my life, the ones I love? Would he challenge the steadfastness of my faith under fire? Would I even be worth his time? Does my faith terrify? Or am I already to shaky to stand, even on solid ground? 

I wonder if God has confidence in me. If He did, would my life be so easy right now? Or would I be constantly under attack by the powers of darkness that are threatened by my light? Should I yearn for oppression? Because it means I'm doing this right? Making an impact? Scaring the beejeebees out of the devil? 

No comments:

Post a Comment